Have you noticed the shift in seasons has begun? Even though Iowa still has some warm days, there is definitely a chill in the air! It’s important to note when the seasons change, as it subtly suggests we should also change and incorporate some modifications into our daily life.
The season of autumn belongs to the Lung*. According to the Yellow Emperor’s Classic of Medicine, by Maoshing Ni, this is when “all things in nature reach their full maturity, heavenly energy cools, wind begins to stir, it’s the pivoting point when the yang phase turns into the yin phase.”
Essentially, this means it’s time to change up the way you do things a bit. Here are some helpful tips from the Yellow Emperor to naturally change with the season:
- Go to bed with the sunset, get up with the sunrise – In theory, this sounds great, but we all know this may not be possible. Either way, it’s helpful to try to get a little more sleep.
- Eat warm, cooked foods.
- Stay warm. It’s tempting to want to get the last wear out of your favorite summer sandals, but be sure to layer up with scarves and sweaters to keep your qi strong. Not sure what to wear? Check out my friend Carly’s post for how to stay warm and stylish!
- Take time to gather one’s spirit and energy.
- Remain calm and peaceful, and try to avoid feelings of depression or grief. Sadness also belongs to the Lung.
- Stay focused.
- Keep the Lung energy full, clean and quiet – Do so by practicing breathing exercises to enhance Lung qi.
While it may be difficult to follow all of them, focus on a few you think you can do and try to integrate the change of season into your everyday life.
*When practitioners of Chinese Medicine talk of organs, it does not necessarily mean the physical organ. Rather we are talking of the channel of the organ and the properties associated with the organ according to Chinese Medicine.
5 thoughts on “Lifestyle Adjustments for the Changing Seasons”
Makes sense to me
Sent by the 3 of us: me myself & I
Yah for autumn and warmer clothes! Great post and awesome tips for staying healthy!
LikeLiked by 1 person
This Lifestyle Adjustments for the Changing Seasons site has helped
me many times in health problems. This book helped me to heal and feel better: https://s96.me/herbal-remedies Kiss you all!